A Day in the Life of a Court Reporter (Episode 1)

By January 18, 2018 No Comments

There is no such thing as a “normal” day in the world of court reporting. Working from both home and away allows for certain enjoyments. However, a reporter’s schedule is never definite and can change at any time. Follow along in the daily saga documenting just how a day can go in the life of a court reporter.
8:30 a.m.: I wake up, make some coffee and toast, and browse my social media. I pull up the assignment I received and confirmed yesterday: 3:00 p.m. deposition in Traverse City. I personally confirm directions and set an alarm for when I should leave.
10:00 a.m.: Out walking the dogs, I get a call from Scheduling: “Your deposition has changed. It’s now at 1:00 in Bellaire.” Okay. I speed walk home to get ready.
11:15 a.m.: I leave for the dep in Bellaire, accounting for travel issues and setup time. On the way, I listen to a book-on-tape that my friend got me.
12:30 p.m.: I arrive at the dep site, an office with a gorgeous view of the Intermediate River. The receptionist lets me in to the room early so I can make sure all of my microphones and other equipment is working properly. I test and position everything as needed, prep my typing document, and wait for Counsel and the witness to arrive.
1:13 p.m.: I swear the witness in. For the about the next three hours I monitor sound quality, take down names, places, et cetera (known in the industry as “confirmations”), mark and keep track of exhibits, and try to be helpful, yet neutral, in any other way possible. Essentially, I’m there but I’m not.
3:30 p.m.: Email from Scheduling; my assignment tomorrow is at 11:00 a.m. in Kalkaska.
4:30 p.m.: The deposition ends. Counsel asks if he can get the transcript in three days; I say, “Of course.” Immediately after getting to my car, I let the transcript coordinator know about the rush.
6:00 p.m.: I arrive home after hitting rush¬-hour traffic. I turn on my computer to upload the day’s audio, start searching the Internet for confirmations, and organize my exhibits. After that, I type for a couple hours and am able to get about half of the transcript typed.
9:00 p.m.: I mentally prep for my day tomorrow and try to unwind for bed.
Stay tuned for what will happen in another Day in the Life!

Leave a Reply